Bend has an interesting new entry in the overnight-lodging market. Its goal: providing basic accommodations -– both for vacationers and those needing a place to roost for an extended-stay – at lower-than-average prices. It’s called “My Place,” and it’s the brainchild of Super 8 Motels co-founder Ron Rivett. Rivett’s grandson, Ryan Rivett, is My Place co-founder, president & COO.
The first Super 8 opened in 1974 in Aberdeen, South Dakota. By the time Rivett sold the franchise in 1998, there were more than 900 locations nationwide. Rivett remained in the hotel business, developing, building and operating Super 8 motels and other branded properties as a franchisee until 2011.
After the 2008 economic meltdown, Rivett realized that the original Super 8 philosophy of “a clean comfortable room for a few bucks less than the guy next door” was more relevant than ever, with one key difference: To meet the needs of today’s travelers, the new hotel would need to be well-suited to both short and long-term stays.
About Bend’s My Place
Bend’s four-story, 63-unit My Place hotel couldn’t have a better location: At 550 SW Bond Street, it’s within shouting distance of both downtown and the Old Mill, with quick access to Highway 97. Those looking for luxury accommodations, a health club, a spa or a pool, however, will have to look elsewhere. Instead, the focus here is on providing everyday essentials at a lower-than-average price. (This week’s “seasonal” rate starts at $90, with discounted rates available at $78.)
Here’s a rundown of the My Place amenities:
- Nightly, weekly and monthly rate options
- Pet-friendly accommodations
- 24-hour front desk
- Free high-speed wireless and wired internet
- Business Center
- Guest laundry and storage facilities
- Weekly Housekeeping (designed for long-term stays)
- “My Kitchen,” complete with two-burner cooktop, refrigerator/freezer with automatic icemaker, microwave and sink/disposal
- “Breakfast In Bed” option – Custom select your breakfast from the menu at check-in, and pre-packaged breakfast will be delivered to your refrigerator for $4.49
- “My Store” – Open 24 hours a day, stocked with a variety of cookware and utensils for purchase
- AAA, AARP & Military discounts
For more info, contact My Place Hotel, 550 SW Bond St., 541-213-2108.
About the Author
Lisa Broadwater, GRI, CDPE, is a Central Oregon-based real estate professional who specializes in listing and selling homes, especially in Sisters, Tumalo, Bend and Redmond.