One indicator that an economy is gaining momentum is the return of high-end new-construction subdivisions, especially those geared primarily toward vacation-home buyers. These days, we are definitely seeing that in Bend: Not only are there a number of new luxury-property developments in the works right now, but there’s also a diverse cross-section of choices available to potential buyers.
Options range from high-end homes adjacent to the new Discovery Park in NorthWest Crossing and a new subdivision of eco-friendly custom homes in the heart of Bend to a cluster of townhomes in an established mid-town golf community (River’s Edge), a modern townhome project between downtown and the Old Mill, a contemporary nine-unit condominium in the Old Mill and a trio of projects within Bend’s newest golf community (Tetherow).
Here’s a quick rundown of the new luxury-home projects (one commonality among the projects that’s worth note — all of them are on the west side of town):
- Northwest Crossing/Discovery Park Drive — Discovery Park, Bend’s newest community park space, opened this summer and was a popular attraction from the get-go. The centerpiece of the 31-acre green space is a scenic three-acre lake – the perfect accessory to a high-end home. There are currently four new-construction projects on the market on Discovery Drive; the least expensive of these is priced at $815,000 (a three-bedroom, 1,787-square foot home across the street from the lake).
- Saginaw Sunset – This brand-new 20-lot project from Jim Guild Construction promises the highest degree of collaboration between builder and home buyer, with features created by local master craftsmen. Located off College Way in the heart of Bend, these so-called “high-performance” custom homes meld modern craftsmanship with eco-friendly materials and a front-row seat to Mother Nature’s finest. Prices start in the mid-‘700s; however, the home currently listed is $845,000. Features of the 2,105-square-foot, two-bedroom, two-bath Earth Advantage & Energy Trust-certified home include Italian tile, wood & cork flooring; redwood, metal & stucco siding, an elevator, tankless water heater, high-efficiency furnace and windows, plus mountain views from inside the home and from three decks.
- Basecamp – This sleek, modern 25-townhome project is a stark contrast from its historic brownstone-inspired neighbor across the street, the popular Mill Quarter townhomes. The twist here: three- and four-bedroom homes that also feature a separate studio apartment. Other features worth note: The Earth Advantage-certified homes boast a whole-home audio/video system, security system, and a two-car garage. There are three different floor plans available, ranging in size from 1,764 to 2381 square feet. Prices of the eight townhomes currently on the market range from $649,000 to $774,000.
- WoodRiver Ridge — Treetop mountain views and a prime location – near the Old Mill District — are the key draws of WoodRiver Ridge, an eight-unit townhome project from local builder R.D. Building & Development. Features of the four three-bedroom, 2½-bath duplexes include contemporary finishes, a great room plus family room, office, two fireplaces, wet bar, two-car garage and water feature. The two 2,509-square-foot units currently on the market are priced just under $700,000. The largest unit (4,680 square feet) will be listed above $1 million, according to R.D. partner John Shaw.
- The Atrium at The Old Mill – This new luxury nine-unit condominium property is situated above the Old Mill Shops. One and two bedroom plans are west-facing and offer sweeping Cascade Mountain and Deschutes River views. With four floor plans (two one-bedroom units and two two-bedroom units, all with garages), prices range from $549,000 to $799,000.
- River’’s Edge Village – Well-known local builder Pahlisch Homes has broken ground on Phase 16 of this established golf community. The main appeal of these 29 home sites, aside from their close proximity to the River’s Edge golf course and the Deschutes River Trail: Most feature one-story floor plans between 1,700 and 2,300 square feet designed for older residents. Prices of the eight homes currently on the market range from $519,950 to $745,000.
- Painted Ridge at Broken Top — The latest townhome development within the gated golf community of Broken Top is also a Pahlisch Homes endeavor. Each of the five units in this project is a little over 2,700 square feet. Features of the three-bedroom, 3½- bath units include a master on the main with decks overlooking the Painted Ridge lake, plus a downstairs bonus room with wet bar and hobby room. The two units currently on the market are priced at $769,950.
- PointsWest Townhomes – Designed for the well-heeled outdoors enthusiast, this Arrowood Development community (nestled between Widgi Creek Golf Course and the Seventh Mountain Resort) is close to trails and on the road to Mount Bachelor. The majority of its 12 remaining homesites are perched on a bluff above the Deschutes River with dramatic lava formations in the backyard. The two four-bedroom, 4 ½-bath units currently on the market are more than 3,400 square feet and priced at $869,750 and $914,750.
- Tartan Druim — This new gated neighborhood within Tetherow Resort is designed to meet the needs of both full- and part-time residents. Consisting of 39 luxury single-family homes, the neighborhood (which is also an Arrowood Development community) overlooks Holes 3-6 of Tetherow Golf Course to the south, The Highlands at Broken Top to the north and the Deschutes National Forest to the west. The first phase features 20 homes, with home sites ranging from just under a half-acre to just over three-quarters an acre and a mix of single- and two-story homes, with floor plans ranging from 2,700 to 4,800 square feet. Prices will range from $997,750-$1,500,000.
- Tetherow Rim – Here’s another new single-family-home community within Tetherow that’s also geared toward both full- and part-time residents. The Rim, located on 9.25 acres along Meeks Trail, includes 29 home sites and four different floor plans, all featuring a master on the main. Prices of the four homes currently on the market range from $710,000 to $1,250,000.
- Tetherow Cabins – Taking a nod (sort of) from the Tiny House movement, this new 12-unit residential development within Tetherow offers just two different floor plans of two-bedroom homes that are either 1,482 square feet or 1,776 square feet. With two style packages to choose from — Modern or Rustic –- the goal here is to maximize efficiency and simplify the construction decision-making process (basically, every design choice is made for you). The Cabins also sport a mid-market price tag: The two homes currently on the market are priced in the mid-$500,000s.
About the Author
Lisa Broadwater, GRI, CDPE, is a Central Oregon-based real estate professional who specializes in listing and selling homes, especially in Sisters, Tumalo, Bend and Redmond.